Supervisor: Kajri Jain
My research draws on extensive experience in museums and cultural institutions in India. I worked for several years at the Alkazi Foundation for the Arts, an important center for the preservation, documentation and study of South Asian photography. I have been a consultant for Khoj International Artists Association, a catalyst for contemporary art in South Asia and the global South. I was a researcher for one of the largest surveys of museum practice in post-independence India (a Getty Foundation funded collaboration between Jawaharlal Nehru University and UCLA) and co-authored a report on museum policies for the Government of India.
Areas of Academic Interest
- Indigenous image cultures in modern India
- Visual culture in modern India
- Indigenous art and crafts in and outside South Asia
- Museums, exhibitionary practice and public culture
- Aesthetics and politics
- My doctoral thesis explores the image cultures of ethnicity, sub-nationalism and religion in the Indigenously inhabited northeast Indian state of Nagaland where a longstanding armed sub-nationalist movement came to a provisional end in 1997. I examine the politics of aesthetic forms that re-engage the colonial and postcolonial archives of indigeneity and intersect with religion, sub-nationalism, governmentality, commerce, and Indigenous practices in a marginalized and militarized region in late-liberal India.
- MPhil Anthropology, University of Cambridge, 2008
- MA Arts and Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 2006
Review of The Camera as Witness: A Social History of Mizoram, Northeast India , by Joy Pachuau and Willem van Schendel. History: Reviews of New Books 44:5 (2016): 151–52.
“Two Museums in Guwahati” in No Touching, No Spitting, No Praying: The Museum in South Asia, by Saloni Mathur and Kavita Singh. New Delhi: Routledge, 2015.
Review of Afterimage of Empire: Photography in Nineteenth-Century India. by Zahid R. Chaudhary. History of Photography 38:1 (2014): 104–6.
- 2016–17 Mellon-JHI Graduate Fellowship
- 2016 India-Canada Association Scholarship
- 2011–15 Connaught Scholarship for International Doctoral Students